Wednesday, August 13, 2008

And... scene.

So much has happened, not the least of which is I've survived my first semester of graduate school. I've also discovered that professors give A pluses, which is nice for the ego but carries a "gold star, pizza party, spell-a-thon" element that makes me dream of 3rd grade. Actually, our final day did include eating pizza on the classroom floor and watching Hitchcock's take on psychotherapy (Spellbound, ripe for laughs with the right crowd!)


Last day of Frisch's class, in the words of Shehzad: "Merry Frischmas!"
(missing Alexis, she's taking the pic)

I've also managed to get relatively comfortable at my new job, and even more exciting is that I no longer actively dread leading group therapy. Matter of fact, I'm getting better at it (most) times. I decided to change my group philosophy, and sometimes I have to giggle to myself to see how much it's been able to impact the group dynamic. It's another example for me not to be afraid to try something new. My heart swells when I hear my clients believing in themselves... nauseatingly Pollyanna perhaps, but in some way I hope that my groups contribute to that.

Why do alcoholics and addicts always introduce themselves with that label? "Hi, I'm Laura and I'm an alcoholic." I won't lie, it bugs the hell out of me, and my group members are fully conditioned to this practice. Here's where my new approach creeps in... now my members introduce themselves with one of their identities, but it's not always their addict label. "Hi, I'm Laura and I'm a superstar" (one client has adopted this as her new identifier, much to the delight of her peers). It's incredible what a belief in your own worth will do, and that's become my primary goal in group: encouraging self-efficacy and self-worth. What's the point of learning new skills when you don't feel like you deserve any better?

I'll have to say the highlight, however, was a client who in our "final thoughts" round in group said, "I just want to thank you Miss Laura. You make me feel intelligent." Heart. Swell. So that's why I do this? Or maybe it's for the laughs... the house supervisor was shocked to learn that my "accent" is not Russian and that I am, in fact, a US citizen. I was laughing over that tidbit all morning.

So things are what they are. I'm learning, I'm growing, I'm challenged, I'm tired as all get out, I miss home and the people I love, I'm beginning to love the people in my new home: it's a mixed bag as per usual. I've got my little "family" of Turtles (derived from the Teenage Mutant Ninja variety, or the only famous foursome we could think of at the moment), and somehow I've picked up the nickname "Babunchkin." Maybe the house supervisor caught wind of that and thus the Communist comparison, who knows.

More on the adventures that were Dallas and San Antonio soon!

No comments: