Wednesday, August 20, 2008

What I Learned in Rehab.

Ever wonder what your childhood self would say to see you now? I think back to my childhood self and think there's no way that young, innocent girl would ever believe who and where I am today... and then, I'm really not that different in many core, essential ways. Part of my fascination with psychology is this idea that we are products of a wobbly teeter-totter of genetics and environment. I get the opportunity to investigate this tenuous balance in-depth each day I sleepily stumble between the stately Southern mansions that house the residential drug and alcohol rehab facility where I work.

Today I saw a felon cry. A man so institutionalized by the prison system that his note requesting a meeting with me was signed with his inmate number. A crack addict so conditioned by the correctional culture of fear and violence that I could count the number of times he's looked me in the eye on a single hand. All of those behaviors are very clearly a product of environment... except the tears he labored to keep within, those were very clearly the product of a kind human being concerned about his love, the woman who supported his entering rehab and making a better life for himself.

I've been sitting across from this man, my client, for weeks now. As I've watched him tumble over his words and avert his eyes, I've been haunted by this nagging insecurity that there's nothing I can possibly say or do to help someone so very different from myself. But today I got it. I mean I got it
again. For a while when I first started my new job it felt as though I'd lost my confidence in my ability to counsel, even though my years in detox had put me face to face with people from all walks of life. Despite our environmental influences, at the core most people are motivated and affected by the same things.

It took a teary felon to remind me that while I haven't spent years in prison, nor been addicted to crack, nor lost my family and children, nor lived on the streets, I have indeed been to rehab. More critically, I'm human. I suppose that's the only true requirement to be of assistance to an addicted person... though knowing the nitty gritty of drug culture (Who knows what a fry is? Hint: it involves embalming fluid!) sure comes in handy sometimes.

Moving to Waco has been such a roller coaster of emotion, I've allowed my focus to drift back to all that I'm missing and those things that aren't "just so." So there it is, the biggest and best lesson I've learned (multiple times) in rehab: gratitude. There will never be enough and things will never be "just so" and with that as my standard for happiness I'm assured to live a life of disappointment. Or, I could have more than enough and things are "just right because they just are" and suddenly, though nothing measurable has changed, life is easier. The world is full of possibilities again.

And they paid
me to teach me that... how lucky am I?!


No comments: